Cream of Celery Soup
Fill the house with the scent of fall when cooking this soup. Creamy celery soup is comforting yet rich. The oatmeal adds a velvety texture to the soup and with a little cream it is light and flavorful.
2 shallots, minced
2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups sliced celery
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 sprig fresh thyme
3 sprigs of parsley
1sprig of winter savory or thyme
1/3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Pecorino cheese grated about 1 heaping tablespoon per bowl.
1. Heat the olive oil in a 2-quart pot. Sauté the shallots, garlic, and onion until transparent.
2. Add the celery and sauté for about 2 minutes. Then add the chicken stock, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, winter savory and oatmeal.
3. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Pass thru a food mill and then puree in the blender. (Can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated or frozen.) Add heavy cream and reheat.
5. Serve hot with a heaping tablespoon of pecorino on top.
© 2010 Julie Logue-Riordan
Copyright © Julie Logue Riordan, Cooking with Julie